May 10, 2013

Holy Bats, Man there's a huge hole in the earth!!

Carlsbad Caverns
While we were staying at Brantley State park we decided we'd do a day trip to Carlsbad Caverns. So glad we did, this was an awesome experience. Mother nature is so cool she really knows how to make people go ooh and aaah. Went into the visitor center and rented a hand held audio tour wand for $5.00. There are stops along the self guided tour where you can listen to facts and stories about the caverns.
There are several different caverns to go into. We chose to do the easy 1 mile 1 1/2 hour self guided tour of the Big Room. We actually took 3 1/2 hours to do the walk, only because I was in such wonderment of the beauty of this place.
I believe I took close to 400 pictures in the caverns most without a flash. I've paired it down to about 174. (You can see them off to the right of the blog.)
We descended 780 feet by elevator into the entrance of the Big room. We walked about 100 feet into the actual entrance to this 8 1/2 acre room.
All I can say is WOW!!! I'll let the pictures do the talking although they really don't do the caverns any justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment