Jun 21, 2012

Little Big Horn Battlefield


One of my favorite places to visit is the Little Big Horn Battlefield.  I've been there several times and each time I find it somewhat eerie and sad.  The visitor center has very interesting displays and of course the headstones in the cemetary add to the eeriness.   But I think the biggest impact comes from standing at the top of the hill near the memorial looking out over the meadow when the wind is blowing.  You can almost hear the battle happening.  The wind, the grasses and the headstones give this spot an eeriness.  Since the last time we were there they have added a five mile audio driving tour.  Using a cell phone, you call a number and enter the sign number and listen to the information.  This is a great addition to this monument.

While on the driving tour we saw dozens of horses.  I spotted a small group of them a short distance off the road.  One of them had beautiful markings and we stopped so I could take pictures.  Apparently this horse was curious and approached the side of the road.  He stood there just a few feet from us posing for pictures.  It seemed to fit the eeriness of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment